Logansport Rape Defense Lawyer
Rape charges can be punishable by years in prison, crippling fines, and a criminal record that can follow you around for life. Often, these cases are complicated, with little physical evidence and a major reliance on testimony.
Given everything that’s at stake—and how complex these cases can be—you need an experienced defense attorney when it’s time to fight rape charges in Indiana. You need a trusted Logansport rape defense lawyer at Leeman Law.
Our attorneys have more than 40 years of experience providing strategic defense representation for an array of rape and sex crimes cases. No matter how complex your case may be or whether you are facing rape charges for a first or subsequent time, you can trust our lawyers for relentless advocacy and personalized service while we help you fight for the best possible resolution.
Call 574-319-7257 for essential answers and advice regarding your best defense options.
What you know about your case now may only be the tip of the iceberg. Let us help you understand the big picture so you can take the right steps to defend yourself against rape charges.
Rape & Date Rape Charges in Indiana
Indiana law defines rape as the illegal, nonconsensual act of engaging in oral, vaginal, or anal sexual intercourse with someone else. Under Indiana law, rape can also involve the use of a foreign object to forcibly penetrate the genitals or anus of another individual against his or her will.
While rape charges are generally felony cases in Indiana, the level of felony charge that applies will depend on the age of the alleged victim and the accused individual, as well as several other factors, like (but not limited to) whether:
- The alleged victim was unconscious or had a mental disability.
- Date rape drugs were allegedly used.
- The alleged rape resulted in serious bodily injury.
- A deadly weapon was allegedly used in the commission of the act.
Sexual Battery Charges & Penalties in Indiana
Sexual battery is defined as the act of touching someone else’s buttocks, genitals, or breasts without their consent or without their awareness. Generally, sexual battery charges can be filed as:
- A Level 6 felony if there are no aggravating circumstances: Upon conviction, Level 6 felony sexual battery charges can be punishable by 6 months to 2.5 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines.
- A Level 4 felony if there are aggravating circumstances involved: Upon conviction, Level 4 felony sexual battery charges can be punishable by 2 to 12 years imprisonment and up to $10,000 in fines.
Sexual Misconduct with a Minor in Indiana
Also referred to as statutory rape, sexual misconduct with a minor is defined as prohibited sexual contact with a 14- or 15-year-old child. These charges are generally filed as:
- Level 5 felonies when the alleged perpetrator is 18 to 20 years old
- Level 4 felonies when the alleged perpetrator is at least 21 years old
- Level 1 felonies when aggravating circumstances are involved
Get Experienced, Strategic Defense Representation: Contact a Logansport Rape Defense Lawyer at Leeman Law
If you or a loved one has been accused of rape in Indiana, a Logansport sex crimes defense attorney at Leeman Law can help you fight the charges and present the strongest possible defense. Known for our tireless advocacy and record of success, we have the expertise, experience, skills, and resources to effectively go up against prosecutors in and outside the courtroom.
Call 574-319-7257 for the answers and advice you need to protect your rights and set your defense case up for success.
At Leeman Law, our Logansport rape defense lawyers are committed to:
- Providing compassionate, personalized service
- Tenaciously championing our clients’ rights
- Being the allies our clients can count on when it’s time to fight sex crimes charges and seek the best possible outcome to criminal cases.
The sooner you contact Leeman Law, the sooner our esteemed team can start protecting your rights and working to build you a formidable defense case.
From offices based in Logansport, IN, Leeman Law provides exceptional sex crimes defense representation in and around Cass County, Indiana, including in Fulton County, Miami County, White County, Pulaski County, Carroll County, Howard County, Stark County, Tippecanoe County, and Wabash County.